Saturday, February 9, 2008

The choices that we make

Choice, isn’t it the biggest dilemma of humankind. When we don’t have an option of choosing we whine and we have one we are terribly confused. Frankly speaking all of us would be a lot happier without it.

Irrespective of all said and done, we do have to choose when we are at a crossroad. As Shakespeare had rightly put in Hamlet, “To be or not to be: that is the question.” So we choose in the state of bewilderment as to what’s right and what’s not. Lost in introspection and rationalization; the human mind trying to work out the best for us. Dreadfully we choose one which we think is the most appropriate, as per the situation. Technically speaking, that is something we want to believe but as per various researches the human mind works in a completely different fashion. The choices that we make are never based on what is right but is rather based on what we want. So what we actually do is that we convince ourselves into believing that that is the right thing.

Nevertheless, we choose and in most cases we stick to our decision. What is to happen when one day you realize that the choice that you made is not right. Well maybe it was not the choice which was wrong but it’s the result which is not so pleasing. Then in that case we ask the usual question, why?

My Soul. I summon to the winding ancient stair;
Set all your mind upon the steep ascent . . .
Fix every wandering thought upon
That quarter where all thought is done:
Who can distinguish darkness from the soul?

I get my answer in a jiffy. Never had I once asked this question as long as things were working out. Everything seemed to be fine and I was enjoying every moment I was being subjected to. Then, to me, my choice was not wrong as the results were pleasing. I perhaps had the best time of my life at some instances. So, it’s all about good times and bad times. I don’t know if the choice that I made was right or wrong; the truth is that it really doesn’t matter. What matters is that I have had some good times which I will cherish for the rest of my life and also some bad ones which I’m sure will be a valuable lesson learnt.

Myself. What matter if I live it all once more?
. . . And what's the good of an escape
If honour find him in the wintry blast?
I am content to live it all again
And yet again. . . .

Albert Einstein had very rightly said, "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." All of us love the ignis fatuus, as long as it makes us happy. Then how does it matter if what we want is a part of reality or an illusion.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely post...very clear thoughts. We wrote on the same topic...but I really connect with your view point.

Taz said...

Thank you. This post is based on something which happened a while ago. I actually wanted to blame the person concerned for a lot of things, at the first instance. But then in retrospect I think that it's never about rights or wrongs and rather about what we gain out of situations like these.
A lot of my posts are based on my random thought and a feeling which is a part of some reaction provoked by certain situation. I haven't tampered with any of me feelings, irrespective of them being right or wrong. Read the others and you might find some connect as well.

Chaitali Patel said...

will do...sounds good.