Monday, March 24, 2008

Me, Myself & I

I must say that I had an amazing weekend this time round. I work for one of those companies where an off is like a distant dream but rarely a reality. Even when our multi-cultural country indulges into any kind of conviviality; my office is open because some market that we cater to is open, somewhere around the globe. But unlike most of these days my office was closed last week, unusually, for good four days. So, I had an extended weekend to make merry- which in fact is totally infectious and makes you crave for more.

And ergo, I indulged into a lot of reveling all across Mumbai; from well know joints to house parties, I did it all; the partners in crime being a bunch of friends, most of who live in Mumbai and a mutual friend who has recently shifted to Pune. Apart from the late night binges there also was a lot of raw guitar music, all acoustic, supplied by either of us; coupled with a lot of singing. All in all it was a crazy time that all of us had.

Nonetheless, moving over to the raison d’ĂȘtre for this post which is a serious discussion I had with my friend, the one who had come from Pune, about how I and another very good friend of ours have changed over the course of our stay in Mumbai. His opinion was that both of us have become quite indifferent and fairly apathetic towards everything; our reason for the same being this city that we are living in. Mumbai for some strange reason, I feel, has done it to me.

So, is this phenomenon, or to be precise noumenon, good or bad? I can’t really see how bad it could be in the long run but at the moment the good part about it is that I find myself to be happy; and happiness for sure had desolated me for a long long time. Perhaps for the first time in my life I have completely stopped thinking about what I should be doing to make others happy. Priorities are of course in place in terms of my family and my near and dear ones. They do get the attention that they are supposed to get but other than that, this time round I have strangely stopped thinking about making every individual associated with me, happy. Maybe I am being selfish and egocentric, not thinking about others but I feel providential and that is all that matters. I feel as though I am exploring and figuring myself out.

Who knows this might just be a mirage or an anomaly but as long as I’m happy I really don’t care. Christian Nevell Bovee had once said that “No man is happy without a delusion of some kind. Delusions are as necessary to our happiness as realities.”

2 comments:

Cuckoo said...

I think it is a phase most of us pass through. A phase where you are supremely brash, happy about your little world and intensely enjoying every minute like there is no other. But, like all good things, this too shalst pass! There will be a day when friends and family mean more, their security becomes paramount and therefore, you become slightly more vulnerable, but happier in a lot of other ways and mind you, that too is another phase and shalst pass!

About doing good for the general public, yes, one day the corporate humdrum would not be sufficient to fuel your satisfaction (perhaps) and you may want to contribute through money, efforts or other ways to help the deserving.

Funda upon funda for ya!!

Taz said...

Fundas do work and therefore thank you for all the fundas.

I believe that we have these walls around us and we keep bouncing from one side to another, time and again. There are times when I am a little more concerned about others and there are times when I’m not. I guess it's the latter that I’m going through right now. Also there are various other reasons associated with it.

Apart from all this, thanks for the precious advice. I really appreciate that.